To call these cookies is a little weird, but that’s what the Flying Apron baking book calls them. I would more call them sponge drops or sponge cakes. They are soft, cake-like and incredibly moreish. You would never believe that they are vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free and soy-free! I bet you can’t just eat one!
You may notice my “cookies” have orange tinges in them. This was because I used pumpkin puree that I had in the freezer, as I had run out of my stash of apple puree.
I think the addition of desiccated (shredded) coconut, would be absolutely perfect. They are freezer friendly, simply wrap in cling film (plastic wrap), and freeze. I pop them into J’s lunch in the morning, so when he comes to eat it, it’s nicely thawed.
SOFT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES – GLUTEN FREE & VEGAN
Adapted from “Flying Apron’s Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book”, by Jennifer Katzinger
- 425 g (2 ¾ c) brown rice flour
- 195 g (1 ½ c plus 1 tablespoon) chickpea (garbanzo) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 150 g (¾ c) raw cane (turbinado) sugar
- 175 g (1 c) mini dairy-free chocolate chips
- 120 g (½ c) apple sauce or pumpkin puree
- 120 ml (½ c) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 240 ml (1 c) milk alternative
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line 2-3 baking trays (sheets/pans) with parchment.
2. In one bowl, combine all the dry ingredients together – brown rice flour, chickpea (garbanzo) flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), salt, sugar and chocolate chips.
3. In another bowl, combine all the wet ingredients together – apple sauce, olive oil, vanilla extract and milk alternative.
4. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, until well incorporated.
5. Portion the mixture onto the baking trays (sheets/pans) using one 5 cm (2 inch) diameter ice cream scoop, leaving about 3.75 cm (1 ½ inch) between each portion. Flatten each mound slightly, if desired.
6. Bake in middle of preheated oven for 17-20 minutes, or until golden and slightly firm to the touch. Let cool on the trays (sheets/pans) for
1-2 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully. Enjoy!