I try to make sure that we eat avocados at least once a week. There are many dishes I use avocados in, but I wanted a change. I decided to make homemade tortilla chips and serve them with salsa and guacamole. Yes, you read it right, our dinner consisted of tortilla chips, guacamole and salsa.
Originally, the tortilla chips were going to baked from homemade flour tortillas. However, since I now have very little time to go to such extremities in cooking, I opted for buying organic corn tortillas from PCC.
You’d be surprised how good these tortilla chips are. And the best thing is, they are slightly “healthier” than store-bought ones, and you can flavor them with whatever you feel like. I used simply salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
As a note, please resist brushing the tortillas liberally with oil. This makes the chips rock-hard.
OVEN-BAKED TORTILLA CHIPS
Serves 2-4, depending how greedy you are
- 12 organic corn tortillas
- 2-3 teaspoons olive oil (or herbed oil)
- salt and freshly cracked pepper*
* other seasoning ideas include cayenne, garlic flakes, chili flakes, curry, Cajun spice and dried herbs
1. Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
2. Lightly brush one side of a whole tortilla, then set aside oil face up.
3. Lightly brush another tortilla, then place directly on top of the first tortilla.
4. Repeat the oiling and stacking until you have a pile of 12 tortillas.
5. Remove the top tortilla, oil side up and place to the bottom of the stack.
6. Take 3-4 tortillas and using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, slice the stack into 8 wedges. Repeat until all the tortillas are cut.
7. Arrange the tortilla wedges on baking trays (sheets/pans) in a single layer, with no overlapping. Sprinkle over salt and pepper (or other seasoning).
8. Bake in the middle of the oven for 5-7 minutes** on each side, or until crunchy, golden and bubbly. Some chips will cook faster than others, simply remove these and return the others back to the oven to finish crisping up.
9. Transfer chips onto a wire rack and allow to cool before devouring. Enjoy!
** The actual time may vary depending on your oven. It is best to keep an eye on them throughout cooking.