So there’s this new rage about sprouted beans/lentils and grains being beneficial for you. To be honest, I don’t particularly care for that. I saw a huge packet of organic dried sprouted bean mix in Costco and it said they only take 5 minutes to cook, I had to try them. The pack actually lied; here is no way in hell it takes only 5 minutes to cook. You need to put the bean mix into a pan with cold water, bring it to the boil, then simmer/boil for 5 minutes, then you let them sit for 10 minutes before you can drain and use them as you wish. With my calculations, that is at least 18 minutes.
Anyhow, rant over – this bean salad is a great rice salad for the warm summer months. It’s vegetarian, wholesome, and highly nutritious.
SPROUTED BEAN AND RICE SALAD
- 150 g (¾ c) brown/wild rice, cooked as per instructions and cooled
- 100 g (¾ c) dried sprouted bean mix, cooked as per instructions
- 2 small green peppers, diced
- 2-3 spring (green) onions, finely sliced
- 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-2 pinches dried chili flakes
- fresh coriander, chopped, to taste
- fresh parsley, chopped, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large ripe avocados, cut into chunks
1. In a large bowl, toss everything together except the avocados.
2. Once everything is well mixed, gently toss in the avocados.
3. Dish up and enjoy!