When I was working at allrecipes.com, I saw so many recipes for microwaved mug cakes, and was naturally intrigued. However, it wasn’t until Christine posted her entry that I really felt like making one. As you know, J is a chocoholic… so I had to try out the cake on him.
All the recipes for mug cakes always say it takes less than 5 minutes. Now, I’m pretty quick and organized in the kitchen, but there is no way – ever! Just getting out the ingredients and measuring them take at least 2 minutes.
The resulting chocolate mug cake takes about 2-3 minutes to cook. How long you take to prepare it is another matter.
This mug cake is pretty good, although I was told, could be a little more chocolatey. It’s pretty light, but as expected, a little rubbery, due to the microwaving process. It’s a good, quick fix if you’re feeling like chocolate cake and you’re too lazy to make a full cake, or it’s too hot to switch on the oven. I think it would be delicious with a dollop of ice cream or chocolate sauce.
DARK CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
Makes 1 serving/mug cake
Adapted from Christine’s Recipes – 5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake
- 4 tablespoons plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 55 g (2 oz) dark chocolate, melted in the microwave
- 3 tablespoon melted butter/oil
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients – plain (all-purpose) flour, cocoa powder, sugar and baking powder.
2. In another bowl, mix together the wet ingredients – melted chocolate, butter, milk, egg and vanilla extract.
3. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just incorporated (do not over mix).
4. Pour into one mug, and microwave on high for 2-4 minutes, depending on your microwave (my mug cake took 2 minutes at 1100 W).
5. Remove cake from microwave and enjoy straight out of the mug.