Something has happened to me in the last few years… I love chickpeas (garbanzo beans)! I really look forward to eating them, but it doesn’t just stop there, I also enjoy all other bean varieties. Beans are pretty new in my diet, and I only started eating them in the last ten years or so. The closest beany thing I ate during my childhood was black-eyed beans (peas) in Chinese soups, or baked beans at school.
I usually plan at least two meatless dinners a week, allowing beans to take the center stage on our plates. Beans are a highly nutritious alternative to meat. They are inexpensive, low in fat and high in fiber and protein. With the addition of sweet potatoes (high in beta-carotene) to this recipe, it makes one hell of a nutritious dish.
This dish is simple to make, yet incredibly delicious. Chunks of sweet potato, red onion and chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are tossed in coconut oil and Cajun spice, before being roasted to perfection. It can be enjoyed either hot or cold. It’s sweet and spicy, with chewy niblets from the chickpeas (garbanzo beans).
If you’re not a fan of Cajun spice, you can substitute in anything you feel like, such as cumin, garam masala or cinnamon.
ROASTED SWEET POTATOES WITH CHICKPEAS (GARBANZO BEANS) AND CAJUN SPICE
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, cut into 1.25 cm (½ inch) chunks (leave skin on)
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1.25 cm (½ inch) dice
- 2 (400-425g, 14-15 oz) tins (cans) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed, drained and gently patted dry
- 15 g (1 tablespoon) melted coconut oil or olive oil
- 2-3 teaspoons Cajun spice*, or to taste
* Can be substituted for any spice/spice blend you desire.
1. Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F) and line one large baking tray (pan) with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, stir together oil and spices until well combined.
3. Toss sweet potatoes, onions and chickpeas (garbanzo beans) in the spiced oil until evenly coated .
4. Bake in middle of preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, or until the sweet potato chunks are tender and the chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are browned. Enjoy!