This ice cream is super-easy to make. It’s flavored with chocolate, and has chocolate bits strewn throughout its deliciousness… a little like stracciatella. You don’t need an ice cream maker, nor will you have to stir the semi-frozen mixture every few hours. Simply blitz together a ripe banana, melted chocolate, Baileys Irish cream, dark rum, milk and a pinch of salt and freeze for 4+ hours. The resulting iced dessert is creamy, smooth, lightly chocolaty and ever-so boozy… that’s why a small portion was more than enough for me.
The alcohol content in this ice cream keeps it scoopable, even after frozen. Talking of the alcohol content… if anyone knows me, they’d know I don’t handle my drink very well. I’m known to pass out from one glass of red wine, and to turn red at a few sips of Strongbow. I do, however, on occasion drink sip liqueurs. Some of my favorites include Kahlua, Tia Maria, Bailey’s and Malibu. I had a few small bottles of Bailey’s that J bought me at Christmas 2009 – none of which I had consumed yet… that’s how often I drink. This was a great way of using a couple of those bottles up.
Although the ice cream was delicious, I was a little disappointed with the lack of chocolate flavor, even though I used 85 % dark chocolate. I may add more melted chocolate next time, or add some unsweetened cocoa powder to up the flavor. I guess you could play around with the different liqueurs you wish, but the creaminess and smoothness might not be the same.
BOOZY CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Makes 4-6 scoops
- 55 g (2 oz) dark (bitter/semi sweet) chocolate, melted
- 90 ml (6 tablespoons) milk
- 2 x 50 ml (1.75 fl oz) bottles Baileys Irish cream liqueur
- 2 teaspoons dark rum
- 1 tiny pinch salt
- 120 g (4.25 oz) ripe banana flesh (about 1 medium), cut into chunks
- ½-1 tablespoon, finely chopped dark (bitter/semi sweet) chocolate (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, melt the chocolate with milk in the microwave, stirring occasionally until the mixture resembles chocolate milk.
2. Add Baileys, rum and salt to bowl and stir, then transfer to the bowl of a food processor together with the chopped banana.
3. Blitz the mixture until smooth, then stir in the chopped chocolate and transfer to a freezer-safe container. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours. Scoop and serve as desired, enjoy!