This happens to be one of the most delicious vegetarian dishes that I’ve come up with. Perfectly cooked pasta is tossed with roasted red peppers, roasted baby plum tomatoes, baby rocket (arugula) and feta cheese. This combination creates a flavor and texture sensation that will simply tantalize your taste buds. We enjoyed it hot, but it will also do well as a pasta salad, especially for a summer barbecue.
The dish features heavily on baby rocket (arugula), which is something we love. It’s aromatic, peppery and packs a punch for a salad leaf. If you’re not a big fan of rocket (arugula), simply halve the amount in the recipe.
J loved this dish so much that he did not speak throughout dinner. The only words he uttered at the end was “mmmm tasty”!
PASTA WITH ROASTED RED PEPPER, TOMATO, ARUGULA AND FETA
Makes 2-4 portions (depending how greedy you are)
- 454 g (16 oz) baby plum (grape) tomatoes
- ½ small red onion, cut into 1.25 cm (½ inch) dice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-2 pinches dried garlic flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed
- ½ tablespoon dried basil, crushed
- 170 g (6 oz) dried pasta
- 225 g (8 oz) roasted red peppers, sliced into strips
- 200 g (7 oz) baby rocket (arugula) leaves*
- 80 g (2.75 oz) feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
* Remember to halve this amount if you’re not a huge fan of rocket (arugula)
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
2. In a bowl, mix together tomatoes, red onion, olive oil, garlic flakes, oregano, basil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 60 minutes, stirring every now and then to break up some of the tomatoes.
3. About fifteen to twenty minutes before serving, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
4. Toss pasta with red pepper and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper, then add rocket (arugula) and feta cheese. Toss then serve. Enjoy!