I’m pretty sure that everyone has heard of devil’s food cake. It’s rich, chocolatey, and packed full of all the naughty stuff. Angel food cake on the other hand, is light and fat-free. Before I made these cupcakes, I’ve never made either, which must mean that I was in purgatory or something!
I had bags of frozen egg whites that needed to be used up. Instead of making the obvious choice of meringues or macaroons, I decided to try my hand at angel food cake. Instead of making it in a tube cake (Bundt) tin (pan), I decided to make them into cupcakes, and add a little strawberry jam on the bottom. You can of course, leave them plain or use your favorite jam or even apple sauce.
They are light, moist and delicious. Athough they do have a slight “chewy” texture, which can be accounted for the no added fat. They are shy of 100 calories each and are also freezer friendly.
JAMMY ANGEL FOOD CUPCAKES
Adapted from Angel Food Cake – Allrecipes.com
- 85 g (½ c and 1 T) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ½ T cornflour (corn starch)
- ½ t baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 150 g (¾ c) cane (raw) sugar or up to 200 g (1 c), if you like your cakes sweeter
- 175 ml (¾ c) egg whites
- ¼ t vanilla extract
- ¼ t almond extract
- 12 t jam
1. Line a 12-hole (cup) muffin tin (pan) with cases (liners).
2. Sieve together plain (all-purpose) flour, cornflour (corn starch), baking powder and salt together FIVE times, then stir in the sugar. Set aside.
3. Beat egg whites with vanilla and almond extracts until stiff peaks form.
4. Gently fold the egg whites into the dry ingredients until evenly incorporated.
5. Drop 1 t jam into the cupcake cases (liners) and divide the batter evenly.
6. Place into a cold oven. Set the temperature to 160°C (325°F) and bake for 30 minutes.
7. Remove from tin (pan) and cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!