I’ve been meaning to post this entry for a long time… but I keep forgetting! It’s a delicious vegan dish (when omitting the fish sauce), which I make when we have a meat-less dinner. You really won’t miss the meat in this recipe.
The curry is well flavored and very mild. I’d compare it almost to a korma. The addition of the creaminess from the coconut milk makes this dish ultra-dreamy. Serve this over freshly cooked rice.
TOFU & VEGETABLE YELLOW COCONUT CURRY
- ½ t oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 2 T Mae Ploy yellow curry paste, or more to taste
- 3 medium carrots, top and tailed, peeled and cut into 1 cm (1/4 inch) chunks
- 3 medium courgettes (zucchini), top and tailed, cut into 1 cm (1/4 inch) chunks
- 400 g organic firm tofu
- 2 t fish sauce (omit if you want the dish to be vegan)
- 1 T unmodified potato starch* mixed with 2 T water to make a slurry
- 1 x 165 ml can coconut milk
- Freshly cooked rice, to serve
* You can use tapioca starch or corn flour (corn starch), if you wish
1. In a large non-stick frying pan, heat the oil. Stir-fry the garlic and onions until aromatic, about 3-4 minutes.
2. Add the curry paste and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the carrots and courgettes (zucchini) and add just enough hot water to cover ¾ of the ingredients. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
3. Add the tofu and gently stir, then season with fish sauce, allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes before adding the starch slurry. Stir continuously until the sauce is thickened, turn off the heat and stir in the coconut milk. Serve with freshly cooked rice, enjoy!