Who would think that a cake that was vegan, gluten-free and raw could taste so darn good? Well, believe me, it does!
It’s also packed full of goodies, such as omega-3 fatty acids, flavonoids, monounsaturated fats, dietary fiber and more.
This cake is definitely not low-calorie, but if you compare the nutritional value and health benefits of eating this cake compared to that of a conventional cake made from refined flour, sugar, fat and eggs, this cake wins hands-down every time.
A miracle happens when you simply blitz together the dates, walnuts and cocoa, which creates a wonderful chocolaty fudge cake. Another miracle happens, when you blitz together the agave, dates, avocado and cocoa to form a rich and creamy chocolaty frosting. I’m no frosting girl, but this stuff is awesome! The original recipe states that it serves about 6, but I found it way too rich for me, I’d say it serves around 10-12.
What are you waiting for? Get yourself in the kitchen and make it!
RAW RASPBERRY & CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE
Adapted from “Ani’s Raw Food Desserts: 85 Easy, Delectable, Sweets and Treats” – Raspberry Ganache Fudge Cake, by Ani Phyo
For the cake
- 330 g (3 c) walnuts, halves and broken pieces
- 66 g (⅔ c) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ t salt
- 205 g (1 c) pitted medjool dates
For the frosting
- 85 g (¼ c) agave nectar
- 65 g (⅓ c) pitted, medjool dates
- 115 g (½ c) ripe avocado flesh (about 1 medium avocado)
- 33 g (⅓ c ) unsweetened cocoa powder
For the filling
- 70 g (½ c) fresh raspberries
1. To make the cake, blitz the walnuts, cocoa powder and salt until coarsely combined. Try not to over process.
2. Add the dates and process until well combined. The mix will look like a loose pile of dirt, do not be disheartened. Shape the mix into any shape you prefer, I made 2 x 15 cm (6 inch) discs.
3. Wrap the cake in cling-film (plastic-wrap) and chill in the fridge for about 10-15 minutes.
4. To make the frosting, blitz the agave nectar and dates until smooth. Add the avocado and cocoa and blitz again until well combined.
5. To assemble the cake, spread ⅓ of the frosting onto the top of one of the cake discs. Scatter with the raspberries, then place the other cake disc on top. Use the remaining frosting to spread on the top and sides of the whole cake. Serve immediately or chill for a few hours to firm up. Enjoy… I know you will!