Italian pasta or Chinese egg noodles are practically the same thing – a mixture of flour and eggs. Pasta is one of those easiest things you can make, and you can really tell the difference when it’s homemade.
If like me, you’ve bought fresh pasta and cooked it at home, the cooking time can really make the difference from an al dente pasta to a soggy mass. I hate that! When using this fresh pasta recipe, you don’t get any of that soggy pasta – it’s all al dente all the way!
You can make pasta the traditional way – that is to have a mound of flour on a wooden surface, crack the eggs in and slowly with your hands, allow the egg to gather as much flour as needed to make the dough. I however, like to cheat. You simply put it all in a stand mixer and with a dough hook, let it do its magic!
Shaping the pasta may seem a little daunting for most people. The only equipment you need is a rolling pin, there’s no need to buy a pasta machine to make pasta. However, I do find rolling the pasta with my pasta machine highly therapeutic.
FRESH EGG PASTA
Serves 2-4 people
- 2 large chicken eggs or duck eggs
- Up to 200 g (1 ⅓ c) plain (all-purpose) flour
1. Crack the eggs into the bowl of a stand mixer. With the dough hook attachment, break up the eggs, and mix for about 30 seconds.
2. Add 150 g (1 c) of the plain flour and continue to mix on medium speed. From this point onwards, add 1 T of flour at a time, until you get a dough ball that is relatively firm, but not sticky. You may not need to use all the flour.
3. Once the dough ball has formed, knead on medium speed for about 5 minutes. Form into a ball, wrap with cling-film (plastic wrap) and allow to rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
4. When ready, take the dough and divide it into four pieces. Work with one piece of dough at a time, covering the other pieces with a clean cloth. Roll and shape the pasta as required and set aside. Repeat until all of the dough has been used up.
5. To cook, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the pasta, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Serve with whatever sauce you wish. Enjoy!