I had a bag of raw almonds sitting in the freezer for a little while, and whilst searching for food porn one evening, spotted this recipe for sweet and spicy almonds. I just HAD to make them!
I’ve slightly adjusted the amounts of ingredients in the original recipe. The result are almonds that are crunchy, sweet, salty, spicy and ever-so-slightly medicinal tasting – I guess that’s due to the fennel seed. And remember, almonds are good for you!
SWEET & SPICY ALMONDS
Adapted from Joy the Baker – Sweet and Spicy Almonds
- 210 g (1 ½ c) whole, raw almonds
- 4 t water
- 1-1 ½ t chili flakes
- ½ t salt
- 2 t fennel seeds
- 50 g (¼ c) sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F.
2. In a bowl, mix together the water, chili flakes, salt, fennel seeds and sugar to combine.
3. Add the almonds and toss to coat.
4. Place a single layer of the almonds on a parchment lined baking tray (pan) and bake for 25-37 minutes, stirring/tossing occasionally.
5. Separate with a fork, allow to cool in the tray (pan). The almonds can be stored in an air-tight container once cool. Enjoy!