Here is a Mediterranean dish that is regularly served at a meze. The dish consists of giant beans cooked in tomato sauce. They bear some resemblance to the British baked beans, only they’re tastier!
Sometimes the beans are baked, but I’m far too lazy for that, so I simply cook them on my hob (stove top). You can also save time, and use canned butter (white lima) beans instead of rehydrating dry beans.
FASOLIA GIGANTES – GREEK GIANT BUTTER BEANS
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 T tomato puree
- 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 250 g (8 ½ oz) butter (white lima) beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ t sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ T fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- ½ T dried oregano
- ½ t dried thyme
1. In a large frying pan (skillet), heat the oil until hot. Fry the onions, garlic and dried herbs until aromatic, about 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar and mash it up using a fork. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
3. Add the beans, parsley and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes until the sauce thickens. Serve hot. Enjoy!