Wow, finally a cornbread recipe that we like!
This recipe has no added oil and will give you light, yet moist cornbread, without the cloying sweetness that haunts many cornbread recipes. If you like your cornbread a little sweeter, add some sugar, according to your taste.
We usually have these as an accompaniment to chili con carne soup.
Makes 4 muffins
Adapted from “The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes”, by Kris Holechek
- 75 g (½ c) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 60 g (¼ c and 1 T) fine polenta/corn meal
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ½ t baking powder
- 60 g (¼ c) apple puree/sauce or half oil and half apple puree/sauce
- 120 ml (½ c) milk/milk substitute
- 3 T corn kernels
- Good spoon of pickled jalapeno peppers, drained, rinsed, roughly chopped (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Line a muffin tin (pan) with four muffin cases/liners or lightly grease.
2. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the dry ingredients – flour, polenta (corn meal), salt and baking powder.
3. In another medium sized bowl, mix together the wet ingredients – apple puree/sauce, jalapeno peppers and milk.
4. Mix together the wet and dry ingredients and combine until just mixed. Do NOT over mix.
5. Divide the mixture into the prepared tin (pan). Bake in the middle of the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer when inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool for 3-5 minutes before serving.